Subject: X on Sparc
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/1998 00:12:34
I recently installed 1.3 on my newly aquired sparc 1.  The install went fairly
smoothly once I figured out what I was doing.  (installing netbsd onto a bare
drive is a beast, especially for a first timer on this platform)

Anyhow.. I got X running, and I have a few questions about it..

#1 How do you kill the server..  there doesn't seem to be a CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE
trick like in i386.  I ran it to test it once, and had to reboot to get out.
So far the only way I know to get out is the use of "kill"  ;)

#2 The colors in X are DARK.  about 2-3 shades darker than my i386's..  Is
there a trick to brighten things up a bit?

#3 In console mode (white bkg) the screen border goes nearly to the edge of the
monitor, but in X mode, its about 1/2" - 3/4" inside.. is there a way to get it
to map all the way out?  I have a cg6 card.

#4 How do I keep console messages from running directly over the X display and
ruining my screen?  It's kinda annoying.

Anyhow..  I know these are kinda non-netbsd related questions, but I've never
owned a sparc before, and this seemed like a good place to get an answer from..

On a side note.. I have to admit.. NetBSD/sparc is *FAST*.  The X performance
on this Sparc1 blows away any of my old 486's.  I thought this machine was
gonna be a hog, but it really surprised me.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com
http://www.futureone.com/~garbled