Subject: Re: Various disturbing error messages
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/1998 11:17:14
Chuck Cranor wrote:
> >I just added two SMD drives to my 4/260.  They are:
> >xyc0 at vmes0 addr 0xffffee40 vec 0x48 pri 3: Xylogics 450/451
> >xy0 at xyc0 drive 0: ready (drive type 2)
> >xy0: <Fujitsu-M2372K cyl 743 alt 2 hd 27 sec 67>, pcyl 745
> >xy0: 656MB, 743 cyl, 27 head, 67 sec, 512 bytes/sec
> >xy1 at xyc0 drive 1: ready (drive type 3)
> >xy1: <Fujitsu-M2361 Eagle cyl 840 alt 2 hd 20 sec 67>, pcyl 842
> >xy1: 549MB, 840 cyl, 20 head, 67 sec, 512 bytes/sec
>
> >Now about the disks:  First of all I couldn't even access the M2372K
> >(the Eagle worked fine).  I could read the disklabel but when I tried to
> >mount something I got lots of errors like:
>
> I believe it is illegal to mix drive types on an xy.  the driver
> should prob. flag your config as an error -- i recall reading this
> in the 450/451 docs, but i don't recall writing anything in the
> driver to check for it.   the SunOS "xy" man page says:
>
> DIAGNOSTICS
>      xyn and xyn are of same type (n) with different geometries.
>           The 450 and 451 do not support mixing the  drive  types
>           found on these units on a single controller.
>
> try powering off the M2361 and then see if the system can talk
> to the M2372K.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem to get any better if I power off the
M2361.  I even tried disconnecting the M2361 and connecting the M2372K
directly to the controller.  It was still flaky.  I then terminated the
M2361 and connected just it to the controller.  Then I got what looked
like bad blocks.  These seem like *real* bad blocks.  SunOS 4.1.3 format
behaved in weird and twisted ways when I tried to format the drive with
the other one connected (bad block replacement table overflow happens
one time, and then another time the check finds no bad blocks).  Maybe
if I reformatted it now...

Oh, and the M2361 is actually an M2361A.  According to a drive list for
DEC systems,
disk    cap.    sec/trk trk/cyl cyl     notes
M2361   549M    64      20      842     Fujitsu Super Eagle 19&quot;
M2361A  549M    68      20      842     Fujitsu Super Eagle 19&quot;
According to this there *is* a difference and the SunOS format.dat has
the wrong number of sectors per track.

Is there any way to format these from NetBSD?  Is there some other
format program out there or can I use the SunOS one under emulation?

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |