Subject: Re: Various disturbing error messages
To: None <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/1998 08:56:15
>First of all, the following seems to happen regularly:
>ie0: DMA underrun
>These happen occasionally.  They are in groups with messages a few
>seconds apart.  It seems to me that network activity is halted or very
>slow during that time.

yes, i've seen this too.  i was unable to track it down.   maybe
pk knows as he seem to have worked some on the ie driver recently?
as a hack, you can always comment out that printf to reduce wait
time for console I/O.

>I just added two SMD drives to my 4/260.  They are:
>xyc0 at vmes0 addr 0xffffee40 vec 0x48 pri 3: Xylogics 450/451
>xy0 at xyc0 drive 0: ready (drive type 2)
>xy0: <Fujitsu-M2372K cyl 743 alt 2 hd 27 sec 67>, pcyl 745
>xy0: 656MB, 743 cyl, 27 head, 67 sec, 512 bytes/sec
>xy1 at xyc0 drive 1: ready (drive type 3)
>xy1: <Fujitsu-M2361 Eagle cyl 840 alt 2 hd 20 sec 67>, pcyl 842
>xy1: 549MB, 840 cyl, 20 head, 67 sec, 512 bytes/sec

>Now about the disks:  First of all I couldn't even access the M2372K
>(the Eagle worked fine).  I could read the disklabel but when I tried to
>mount something I got lots of errors like:

I believe it is illegal to mix drive types on an xy.  the driver
should prob. flag your config as an error -- i recall reading this
in the 450/451 docs, but i don't recall writing anything in the
driver to check for it.   the SunOS "xy" man page says:

DIAGNOSTICS
     xyn and xyn are of same type (n) with different geometries.
          The 450 and 451 do not support mixing the  drive  types
          found on these units on a single controller.

try powering off the M2361 and then see if the system can talk
to the M2372K.

chuck