Subject: Re: ptys not freed?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/29/1997 08:51:53
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, matthew green wrote:

: as far as i'm aware, this is a bug in pine.  get a better mailer.  :-)

Um, then tell me how Pine is capable of tricking the kernel into keeping its
pty slave device even after the master side is closed, and why this doesn't
happen under 1.2.1 (or 1.2F, for that matter)?  And why tcsh can do it too,
under tricky conditions?

Pine does do some unconventional things, true.  But I don't want to have to
explain all over again why Pine should not be capable of having the kernel
do what the kernel is not supposed to do.  (I originally found the bug where
Pine 3.95+ can hang Solaris/x86 in an instant, if compiled without
SOLARISKERNELBUG in the defines.  And why hasn't Sun fixed this one even in
2.6?  They give me statements like the above quoted one.)

Pine is the most versatile _text-based_ mailer I can find that supports
IMAP's remote folders.  I ain't about to switch now.  And I'm starting to
feel that it makes a good regression tester.  <g>

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price