Subject: Re: shutdown actions
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/28/1997 13:58:12
[Surely port-sparc isn't the right place for this?]

>>> In the 4BSD universe, you kill 1, and init sends SIGTERM to
>>> everything on the system.  Programs that need to clean up after
>>> themselves are expected to catch SIGTERM and do whatever they need
>>> to do within about 15-30 seconds.  [...]

>> This in my opinion sucks about the BSD universe... At the very least
>> the grace period should be configurable.

I entirely agree.

> Maybe let shutdown check for /etc/rc.shutdown and, if exists, run it
> before telling init to shutdown the rest?

I'm not sure about this.  There are at least five documented ways of
shutting the system down (signal init with SIGTERM or SIGTSTP, or run
shutdown, halt, or reboot), with at least four different target states
(single-user, halt, reboot, and that weird one you get when you SIGTSTP
init).  Which of them should run what, and when?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca