Subject: Re: ptys not freed?
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/25/1997 08:19:13
On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, Jeremy Cooper wrote:

: > I haven't experienced this on my i386, so it is very odd.  But it may be a
: > MI bug; I'm not sure.
: >
: > [ programs that use raw I/O on ptys sometimes don't die on hangup ]
:
: Todd, this is probably not a machine-dependent bug because I have seen it
: happen quite often in FreeBSD-2.1.5.  It could be a bug in pine (which you
: reported as one of the programs that behaves this way.), or it could be a
: bug in the 4.4BSD pty handling code.

Well, I doubt it's a bug in pine, because:

- a program whose master pty closes should have its slave side revoke(2)'d,
  such that it no longer has access to the device, regardless of whether
  the process actually dies;

- Pine isn't the only program that does this, but it's the easiest to
  reproduce in my experience.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price