Subject: Fwd: Dumb question about HD prep
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lyndon Fletcher <etmlyfl@etm.ericsson.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/11/1997 10:29:22
I know this is a dumb question but in my defence I've only ever installed
Solaris from a CDROM so I don't know the ins and outs of making a new
filesystem.<p>
In brief. I want to install NetBSD on a new HD. I have a machine
already<br>
running Solaris 2.5 and I TCPIP'd all the files on to if from my PC. I
cann't<br>
use my existing &#47;swap as a location for the miniroot because
solaris<br>
complains (I think because I already have a running system.)<p>
Anyway I have a small additional HD lying around that I could use as
a<br>
dd the netbsd miniroot into the new disk's b partition as stated in the
installation notes.<br>
However when I try to boot I get an &quot;Illegal Instruction&quot;
message.<p>
First up does anyone know what this means?<p>
I suspect that I've made some mistake preping the temporary drive.<p>
In MSDOS you partition the drive first (which writes the disklabel)
then<br>
format each partition. The format process in effect builds the FAT file
system.<p>
What do you do in solaris? The format command seems to do the complete
disk<br>
with no obvious way to do a partition at a time. Do I have to run newfs
on<br>
each new partition including swap?<p>
Could someone please tell me the correct order to format, partition,
write<br>
disklabel and newfs this drive. At the moment I have little idea what I
should be doing.<p>
Thanks<p>
Fletch <p>
<BR>