Subject: Re: fifo overrun
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/30/1997 09:55:05
At 12:49 AM +1100 10/31/97, matthew green wrote:
>   I would suggest, since this is likely to be encounterd by users, rather
>   than just by programmers, that pppd be changed so that it will catch
>   invalid speeds in options, or the command line, and generate a helpful
>   error message.
>
>   Sending users to the tcsetattr man page to try to figure out why their pppd
>   options are not working is cruel.
>

>actually, it should probably generate a more helpful error message, but
>having pppd check what is valid is wrong:  what if i change the zs driver
>to fudge?  or even use a serial chip that supports `any' baud rate?

I see.

I still don't think the cryptic tcsetattr error message should get back to
the user, could pppd catch that, and tell the user something helpful?

If not, I guess a helpful error message from tcsetattr would be almost as good.

I think the fundamental problem is that users might expect that a speed
like 28800 would work. You have to tell them somehow that only certain
values are permitted.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614