Subject: Re: Most stable system and recommendations needed.
To: Lyndon Fletcher <etmlyfl@etm.ericsson.se>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/29/1997 09:34:28
1.2.1 did all of this for me on an IPX. I changed to -current for ipfilter
and netatalk support (I'm not sure that was necessary, but I thought it was)

I'm not sure what kind of WP is available.

Brad

At 11:44 AM +0100 10/29/97, Lyndon Fletcher wrote:
>Hi,
>    I recently came into a largish number of Sun systems one of which I
>want to give to a friend. He won't want to do any hacking and he won't
>have access to
>the new to get new patches. What I was wondering is what would be the best
>(and most stable) system for me to load onto his machine 1.2? 1.2.1 (AB etc.)
>
>I am also looking for recomendations for what software to load for him.
>
>The system must be capable of.
>
>Dialup TCP/IP access via SLIP/PPP (support for a fast modem needed.)
>Get mail/New (recommendations???)
>Have Netscape (which means SunOs compatability Y/N)
>Use X windows (recommended windows manager??)
>
>A good WP package would be usefull too.
>
>I'm already going to look into BASH and a few other utilities but are there
>any recommendations as to what else I should load? He principly wants to
>use the machine for Internet access and to learn Unix.
>
>Regards
>
>Fletch

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614