Subject: Most stable system and recommendations needed.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lyndon Fletcher <etmlyfl@etm.ericsson.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/29/1997 11:44:07
Hi,
    I recently came into a largish number of Sun systems one of which I want to give to a friend. He won't want to do any hacking and he won't have access to
the new to get new patches. What I was wondering is what would be the best
(and most stable) system for me to load onto his machine 1.2? 1.2.1 (AB etc.)

I am also looking for recomendations for what software to load for him.

The system must be capable of.

Dialup TCP/IP access via SLIP/PPP (support for a fast modem needed.)
Get mail/New (recommendations???)
Have Netscape (which means SunOs compatability Y/N)
Use X windows (recommended windows manager??)

A good WP package would be usefull too.

I'm already going to look into BASH and a few other utilities but are there
any recommendations as to what else I should load? He principly wants to use the machine for Internet access and to learn Unix.

Regards

Fletch