Subject: Re: cgsix?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/1997 15:53:23
On October 28, you wrote:
> As far as I know, they were all made by SMCC.

  There is at least one third-party cgsix.  My next-door neighbor has
one.  Not sure who made it...but it seems to work just fine.

> Wasn't there a cgsix that had some beefier acceleration hardware on it?
> Was this the GX?  It's been a while, and I can't remember :-)

  There are several varieties of cgsix:

  The dual-slot version (takes up two sbus slots) is 501-1481 or
501-1645.

  The single width cgsix GX is 501-1672 or 501-1996 and has 1mb of
VRAM.  The GX+ (not sure of the part number, I've never actually seen
one) is basically the same thing with 4mb of VRAM.

  The TGX is 501-2325 or 501-2922 and has 1mb of VRAM.  It's the one
with the beefier acceleration hardware you mentioned.  The TGX+
(501-2253 or 501-2955) is a TGX with 4mb of VRAM.

  There's a cgsix (plain GX) on the cpu board of the
SPARCstation-IPX.  It has 1mb of VRAM.  There's also a cgsix (plain
GX) on the cpu board of the SPARCstation-LX...it's a neat variation
because there's a slot for a VSIMM which can take it up to 2mb to
support higher resolutions.

  All cgsix framebuffers are 8 bits deep regardless of how much memory
is crammed into them.  The highest resolution they can support is
1600x1280 with 4mb of VRAM, and 1152x900 with 1mb.

                          -Dave McGuire
                           mcguire@neurotica.com