Subject: Re: Apple's Rhapsody DR1 and NetBSD
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: ComQuest Internet Services <spoon@cqc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/19/1997 02:29:05
> Ken Nakata wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:39:29 -0700,
> > Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US> wrote:
> > > The Installation Manual for Apple's 1st Developer Release of Rhapsody
> > > contains copyright credits for both Allen Briggs and the Alice Group gang
> > > as well as Theo de Raadt.  !?!?!  *boggle*
> >
> > Isn't Rhapsody based on NeXT which is based on CMU Mach MK?  Probably
> > what happened is that they are using OSF Mach MK of MkLinux.  The MK
> > in MkLinux contains code from NetBSD (and probably from OpenBSD as
> > well?).
>
> Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they switched to the same
> Mach kernel that MkLinux/PPC is using to avoid duplicated effort and get
> what may or may not be a better kernel and the older Mach 2.x microkernel
> they were using before.  As for Theo's contribution...who knows?  I'm sure
> we still have stuff in the NetBSD tree with his copyright on it as well.

I think the last word I read from www.macintouch.com about that said apple
switched to Mach 3 since they already had it working on PowerMacs and NeXT
was in the process of porting OpenStep to Mach 3 anyway...

They were concerned about compatability between 2.x and 3 though.

-Tom

---

So I don't have a signature, does that make me less of a man?!