Subject: Re: Apple's Rhapsody DR1 and NetBSD
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/1997 10:14:33
Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:39:29 -0700,
> Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US> wrote:
> > The Installation Manual for Apple's 1st Developer Release of Rhapsody
> > contains copyright credits for both Allen Briggs and the Alice Group gang
> > as well as Theo de Raadt.  !?!?!  *boggle*
>
> Isn't Rhapsody based on NeXT which is based on CMU Mach MK?  Probably
> what happened is that they are using OSF Mach MK of MkLinux.  The MK
> in MkLinux contains code from NetBSD (and probably from OpenBSD as
> well?).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they switched to the same
Mach kernel that MkLinux/PPC is using to avoid duplicated effort and get
what may or may not be a better kernel and the older Mach 2.x microkernel
they were using before.  As for Theo's contribution...who knows?  I'm sure
we still have stuff in the NetBSD tree with his copyright on it as well.

Pretty cool, tho, all in all :-)

Later.