Subject: Re: scsi select/reselect on esp*
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/1997 00:29:32
> >This was done because of the ESP SCSI chip hardware bug that is found in
> >early sun4c models (like the SPARC 1+).  The chip cannot reliably handle
> >SCSI reselects.
>

> I'm sorry, that's simply not so. This was worked out in SunOS
> 4.0.3c and has worked reliably since 1989.
>
> Now, it's true that the NetBSD driver has problems. However,
> it's not an insoluble problem.

Hopefully, this particular problem is fixed in the current driver.
I could not test this myself, but at least two (i think) people
have reported good results so far..

Actually, I'm tempted to remove the "no re-select" flag from GENERIC
for 1.3 and have this forcefully tested during the remaining 1.3 beta
period.

-pk