Subject: Re: sun4m disk label hosed
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/09/1997 08:30:49
> About a week or two ago, I ran out of space in /usr/src on my sparc
> build system.  Tonight, I tried to correct it, [...].

> The system no longer boots from this disk, [..."Bad magic number in
> disk label"...]

> 1. How can I make this disklabel on this disk happy again?
>    (preferably without destroying the data now on the disk)

Put the disk on another machine and use sunlabel -fixsum to edit the
label?  If it's the magic number that's wrong, copy the label with dd
bs=512 count=1 from the raw partition into a file, bash the magic
number (the last four bytes of the 512-byte file are the magic number
and the checksum, in that order), and _then_ use sunlabel -fixsum?  Or,
if you know the partitioning you want, just sunlabel -new....

Hm, I should add -fixmagic to sunlabel.

If you haven't a copy of sunlabel, I'll be glad to mail you one.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca