Subject: Re: 4/110 boot problems... (fwd)
To: blair aakre <baakre@d.umn.edu>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/25/1997 11:23:19
Verily did blair aakre write:

>>> Hello there, I've got a 4/110 that I'm trying to get NetBSD up and running
>>> on....
>>> NetBSD 1.2.2 (Generic-SCSI3)

>>    Uh...huh? I've never even heard of 1.2.2. However, months back when
>>    I had a Sun 4/110 I noticed that -current didn't work, but 1.2 did.
>>    It was related to the sw driver and some sort of lossage (perhaps)
>>    in the MI SCSI subsystem.  I don't know if this has been fixed up
>>    yet.

>> I ran 1.2G, a month or so ago, on a 4/110 without any noticeable issues.
>> I'll try to make time in the near future to try this again.

> Sorry, I ment NetBSD 1.2.1. It was late last night when I typed it. =)

NetBSD-1.2.1 should run ok.  1.2 ran just fine for me.

The current stuff (as of yesterday-ish) also runs.  I'm in the middle of
rebuilding the world on my 4/110 right now.

The easy way to go from 1.2.1 to -current - you need a -current kernel
and make(1) binary from the /sparc snapshot or a friend.

The order (from memory):
  (back up /usr/share/mk/* first, unless you don't care about the old mk files)
  "cd /usr/src/share/mk && cp bsd.* sys.mk /usr/share/mk"
  "cd /usr/src && make includes"
  "cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make && make depend && make && make install"
  if building with src/domestic
     "cd /usr/src/domestic/usr.bin/make_cmds \
      && make depend && make && make install"
     "cd /usr/src/domestic/usr.bin/compile_et \
      && make depend && make && make install"
  fi
  "cd /usr/src && make build"

When you use a -current make(1) with a 1.2.x libc, it complains about libc
being an older rev than it was expecting, but still performs enough to
rebuild make.

Also, a -current kernel doesn't like the old mount_mfs, which isn't a
big deal, your compiles just uses ffs instead of mfs for temp space
until you get your userland rebuilt.

This is how I'm going about it.  I might have missed something, but it's
still building so far.  (e.g. YMMV)

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@warthog.com
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.