Subject: Re: compat_sunos
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/23/1997 08:42:23
On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

: >You have to use the /usr/openwin/lib/lib*.so.* libraries in
: >/emul/sunos/usr/openwin/lib/, because the SunOS shared libraries are
: >somewhat different from the NetBSD shared libraries.  With those files in
: >place (and a symlink from /emul/sunos/usr/openwin/lib/X11 to
: >/usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11) just about any SunOS X ("OpenWindows") program should
: >work fine.
:
: This sounds very reasonable, but it isn't in the compat_sunos man page, any
: reason not to add it?

I don't see why not, but I was debugging the yp stuff too much to notice.
;)  Feel free to send a send-pr, or I'll do so after I finish figuring out
how best to optimize NetBSD/SunOS integration.

Speaking of yp, you'll get better results (correct host lookups to be
specific) from SunOS programs not compiled with -lresolv by setting up a
minimal YP environment (just the hosts map) and with ypserv -d.  I'll be
explaining that as part of the library repackaging I'm working on.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.