Subject: New NetBSD install
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/22/1997 10:56:11
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. After not much mucking around, just
most of a Saturday actually, I'm up and running. The problem turned out to
be a bad miniroot. There was a clue, but it didn't mean anything to me at
the time.
dd reported something like 513 + 0 files in, and 512 + 1 files out with the
corrupted miniroot. When I replaced it, it was 513 in and 513 out. Perhaps
a mention of this in the install instructions would help someone else in
the future.

Everything seems to be working, except for swap. I set up fstab something
like this:
/dev/sd0a	ffs	rw 1 1 /
/dev/sd0b	swap	sw
/dev/sd)g	ffs 	rw 1 1 /usr

I'm not at home, so / and /usr may be wrong, but they are working fine. I
don't think swap is working, and I wonder if someone would send me an
example fstab that I can look at. That's another thing that might be
helpful in the install instructions. I think the install script might be
able to set up swap, but it wasn't clear how to do it.

Over all, it went pretty well. The instructions say it is complex. It
wasn't all that bad, and would have been easy except for the bad miniroot,
which is prolly my fault anyway.

Thanks to all, as usual.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614