Subject: pppd: modem hangup
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brain fried. Explanation is in file "core". <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/11/1997 08:33:00
I'm unfortunate enough to have the following configuration:

        SPARCstation IPX
        64M RAM
        2 Seagate ST1480N drives
        One Fujitsu M2694ES drive
        One CDC Wren VI [?] (SUN0669) drive
        One 28.8kbps USRobotics Sportster modem

Once upon a time, 38.4kbps worked through this modem.  Thought it was the OS.
Turns out my ISP enabled compression so that stuff was actually going
much faster, so my serial ports were getting "zs0a: fifo overrun", thanks
to the incredibly lousy serial ports.

Things have been working rather nicely at 19.2kbps until lately, when my
pppd has been reporting:
	Modem hangup
	Connection terminated

I talked to my ISP, and he commiserated and said I should get a better
computer, because there's nothing he can do on his end.  I would concur,
but until I can achieve funding to obtain a better computer (two actually,
one for the wife and kids and one for me), this poor ol' Sun 4/50 is all
I have.

[And it ain't bad; the display is nice and the speed beats the hell out of
the Sun *3/50* I used to have, and it's faster than the pyramid and the
vax I used to work on.]

Now the one thing he DID suggest was to disable compression on my end
-- I wonder if he means MODEM compression or SOFT compression; I disabled
software compression over here and it still doesn't seem to help.
Any information on why I would suddenly be having problems at 19.2kbps
would be appreciated.  Would I be better to try and turn off modem compression
and let it all happen via software?

[on reflection, I should probably set my modem to 19200 uncompressed and
 leave it at that, huh?]

Here's my /etc/ppp/options file; any ideas are welcome.

#### /etc/ppp/options ####
207.33.232.91:207.33.185.2
/dev/ttya
19200
crtscts
noipdefault
defaultroute
demand
persist
# Turn off compression due to lousy serial ports...
bsdcomp 0
deflate 0
lock
modem
netmask 255.255.255.255
connect /etc/ppp/connect
disconnect /etc/ppp/disconnect
holdoff 5
#-vj
idle 150
mru 296
mtu 296

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft Windows NT -- "What a totally excellent discovery...NOT!"