Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD/sparc from Solaris 2.6
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <paul@wit399401.student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/09/1997 13:22:41
Hi,

> > However, this did not result in a bootable NetBSD disk.

> Of course you can also boot over the net from your other machine. I seem
> to remember that you can even have the machine TFTP the netbsd kernel
> directly (in stead of another boot program), but I'm not really sure.

I think the easiest way would indeed be to netboot it into a NetBSD
distribution on the Solaris machine, that resides in /export.

You can use tftp to get the bootfile, the kernel will be the first thing
the machine will get from the nfs-mounts. Take a look at diskless(8).
You will need:
rarpd (entry in /etc/ethers) to give it it's ethernet-adress
tftp (entry in inetd.conf and /tftpboot) for the bootfile (/usr/mdec/boot)
bootparamd (/etc/bootparams) to tell it where to mount things
mountd and nfsd to get your kernel and filesystem across.

After you got the machine up, you can disklabel and newfs the disk
from within NetBSD, then make it bootable and install (don't forget to
run MAKEDEV!).

I've done this quite a few times now, feel free to email me with questions.

Happy hacking, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
          Lynx users have a "Right to follow a link", too!