Subject: Re: SunOS compatibility kudos
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/23/1997 10:23:56
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Erik E. Fair wrote:
>
> : If you could write up a set of instructions (and warnings for things to
> : watch out for), I'm sure that it would be happily added to the web pages on
> : www.netbsd.org under the NetBSD/sparc section...
>
> I'll do so sometime this weekend.
>
> : Do you think the technique would work for Solaris, also?
>
> Possibly, but because the SVR4 emulation is a little unstable yet (I've had
> kernel panics using it with Solaris 2.5.1 libs, but not with 2.4 libs), I
> won't yet try it.  The SunOS emulation is optimal, though, because Solaris
> and SunOS can both run the binaries--Solaris has an optimized SunOS
> emulation system, and NetBSD uses a BSD file layout (for applications that
> are looking for particular files, like utmp).

There are also filesystem issues with 2.5.1.  2.5.1, and probably 2.5 and
2.6 have acl support in the filesystem.  I haven't quite figured out
what's going on but it seems that if you mount a filesystem read/write
under NetBSD, run some executables, boot 2.5.1, and fsck the filesystem,
anything that has been executed loses all permissions.

Then there are the streams issues, and the doorfs issues....

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier