Subject: Problem with Netbsd on a diskless sparcstation ELC..
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/13/1997 21:52:18
For some reason, whenever my SPARCstation ELC tried to do anything related to
NetBSD's database functions (kvm_mkdb, dev_mkdb, pwd_mkdb, etc) it hangs and
tells me that my NFS fileserver isn't responding.

tcpdump output shows this (cesium is the ELC, obrien is a 386dx/40 that is
acting as an NFS fileserver and boot server for Cesium)

21:48:41.790000 cesium.idea-inc.com.542f6af > obrien.idea-inc.com.nfs: 1472 write [|nfs] (frag 1815:1480@0+)
21:48:41.800001 cesium.idea-inc.com > obrien.idea-inc.com: (frag 1815:1480@1480+)
21:48:41.800003 cesium.idea-inc.com > obrien.idea-inc.com: (frag 1815:1480@2960+)
21:48:41.800005 cesium.idea-inc.com > obrien.idea-inc.com: (frag 1815:1480@4440+)
21:48:41.800007 cesium.idea-inc.com > obrien.idea-inc.com: (frag 1815:1480@5920+)
21:48:41.800009 cesium.idea-inc.com > obrien.idea-inc.com: (frag 1815:936@7400)
21:48:46.200000 obrien.idea-inc.com > cesium.idea-inc.com: icmp: ip reassembly time exceeded [tos 0xc0]

This repeats indefinitely until I give up on it. Anyone have any ideas? I
dyked out the kvm_mkdb and dev_mkdb calls in /etc/rc which allowed it to boot,
but I can't add myself as a user without updating the passwd database...
Allan "Norm" Crain |  allanc@idea-inc.com  | http://www.idea-inc.com/~allanc
"We'll have fun fun fun 'till my daddy takes the T1 away" --nby@idea-inc.com