Subject: Re: Pain .. oh, pain.
To: I presume I need no introduction. <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/02/1997 14:36:13
> 	1.2G/970729 kernel would accept input for root device, dump
> 	device and root fstype, but then refused further input.
> 	Something else was really wrong too, because programs started
> 	puking left and right.  I had rebuilt ld, as, gcc, config and sh
> 	(need to add yacc and compile_et) and rebuilt a kernel.  Funny,
> 	I don't usually see this problem with binaries older than the
> 	kernel; it's usually the other way around when this happens.

This is *exactly* what I was seeing on my SS10 Model 30 (no L2 cache).
I was installing for the first time, and obviously couldn't do much
after I specificed the root.. :)  I ended up booting multi-user off
the network, and then figured out the "cat < /dev/kbd" trick.  Anyway,
in trying to rebuild the kernel, I was getting a lot of "error 11"
(or signal 11) errors, and couldn't rebuild.  I rebuilt a new kernel
on my LX (for the SS10), and had similar problems with the keyboard.
Still, it seemed to work ok, so I decided to go ahead and update
the bootblocks, etc.  After rebooting off the new bootblocks, my
keyboard worked!  Odd, I'm not sure why the SunOS 4.1.4 bootblocks
would affect the keyboard at all.

Anyway, I've done 'make world' numerous times now, and the signal 11
problem is gone, and the keyboard works fine.  I don't know if there
was a slight period of instability in the sparc port or what, but as
my SS10 never worked before, I wasn't too concerned about the keyboard.
By now though, (July 28 kernel) I don't have any problems at all.

> 	Anyway, I never did get to reboot sanely to a point where I could
> 	rebuild the rest of the world.
>
> 	I'm now about to fetch a snapshot and see if it works.

I can probably build a snapshot as of today's sup if you need it.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.