Subject: Re: A couple of SS1 questions.
To: None <kin.lau@shaw.wave.ca>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/22/1997 22:54:47
   Brad Spencer wrote:

   > Given a Sparc 1 with ROM revision 1.3 and NetBSD 1.2G or so...
   >
   > 1) Has anyone managed to netboot a machine with that configuration.  I
   > attempted to do this and was unsuccessful.  What appeared to happen was
   > repeated attempts to retreive the boot code with tftp.  As far as I can
   > tell everything should have worked [the ethers file was right, the
   > bootparams file was right, the boot code existed and pointed to correctly,
   > and all the proper daemons were running], it just never managed to get the
   > boot file.

   Got myself a SS1+ w/ 1.3 ROMs and the _exact_ same problem... I'm
   booting off a Linux
   server.  Tftpd keeps sending the file, but the ss1+ won't take it for
   some reason.  _If_
   I first boot SunOS (from disk), then netbooting comes up fine.  Once in
   a bluemoon, with
   the right flick of the power switch, it'll netboot without doing SunOS
   first.

   --
   Kin Lau

   To reply, remove _NO_SPAM from the email address

In my fiddling I noticed something else....

After one breaks back to the PROM, any attempt to boot would fail right
away [a netboot would result in a complaint about not being able to send a
loopback packet].  One must do a 'reset' first.  Odd....  [well, maybe not
terribly, I'v noticed this under SunOS every once in a while].  This would
imply that something gets fiddled about with.

[Did the file actually go out over the wire??  How does one tell??]

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org