Subject: NetBSD Sparc Install troubles...
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Palmer <palmerj@vail.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/18/1997 15:20:33
Hello,

I've been beating my head for 2 days now, so I figure it's time to
stop and ask someone who knows more.

All my attempts to install and execute the NetBSD bootstrap file have been
in vain.
Here are the specifics:

Sparc5 Rom version 2.15

Two internal drives, a 1.05 GB (/dev/dsk/c0t3d0) and a 535MB (/dev/dsk/c0t1d0)

64 MBs RAM

I have the PROM set so that:

setenv sunmon-compat? false
and
setenv security-mode none

I boot the 1.05 GB drive running Solaris 2.5.1.  I take a copy of
miniroot-121.fs.4c and dump it to the swap partition of the 535MB disk with
a dd command:

"dd if=miniroot-121.fs.4c of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s1 bs=20b conv=ascii"

The dd completes successfully (512K in, 512K out) and I do a halt on the
system.

I get to the boot prompt and type in the following command:

boot disk1:b netbsd -s

The system responds;

"The file just loaded does not appear to be executable"

%##**@)($*$$*($*$!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is doubly frustrating because I just installed NetBSD version 1.2
successfully
last month on the same Sparc 5!!  I can't do an install on *that* release
either.
I feel like I must be forgetting some small but critical step.  Can anyone
give me a suggestion here?

Thanks,

Jim Palmer

		       		Jim Palmer
Systems Engineer
HPCC/ESS Network Group,
NASA/HSTX, Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 933, Bldg 28, #W277,
Greenbelt, MD 20771
Phone: 301-286-1376
email: palmerj@vail.gsfc.nasa.gov

"The kid's in there drinking my best gin. Get him out of here before
I put a spike in him and use him as a decanter."

					- W.C. Fields