Subject: SLC SCSI problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/15/1997 14:01:31
For quite a while now, I've been running NetBSD/sparc on an IPC.  It's
been stable and I've been happy with it.

But now I'd like to switch it from the IPC to an SLC we have; I've been
running the IPC headless, and this SLC has fried video electronics but
it's just fine headless.

The trouble is, it doesn't work. :-(  I can usually boot single-user
and everything is fine, but as soon as I touch the second disk, I start
getting lines like

esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 3, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 2000
esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 3, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 6000
esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 3, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 2000
esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 3, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 4000
esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 3, step 4] prevphase 1, resid e000
esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 3, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 800

Sometimes the machine hangs for a while (half a minute?) and then gives
me something about esp timed out, esp timed out AGAIN, panic nexus is
reset.  Sometimes the above messages are the only sign of trouble.

It does this across enough CPU boards that I'm disinclined to believe
it's just a toasted card.  The comments in the code make it look as
though this has something to do with reselect, in which case it could
have something to do with multiple targets.

Does the SLC use the same scsi chip as the IPC?  (Like a noodlehead, I
didn't save full dmesg output from the SLC.)  If so, anyone have any
clue what could be wrong here?  If not, is the SLC's chip support known
to be flaky?  Should I just assume I can't use multiple targets and
deal with it?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca