Subject: Re: Exabytes and gdb
To: None <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Robbins <grr@shandakor.tharsis.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/08/1997 08:24:53
> From: "J.D.Coleman" <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: Exabytes and gdb
>
> Jason Thorpe wrote :
> > ENXIO is "device not configured".  EIO is input/output error.  Try looking
> > for EIO.
>
> Thanks.  Teach me to look at code before tea break!  In that case, it looks
> like the Exabyte returns an error from scsi_test_unit_ready(), even with
> SCSI_IGNORE_MEDIA_CHANGE set.  Does anyone else see this?  Is it worth
> bothering with (admittedly it is only a minor annoyance)?

It's something that changed between 1.0 and 1.2, and I think it would be
nice to see fixed, since it can confuse scripts that exepect the first
tape access - whether rewind/space or read/write to work.  I had thought
that it was confusion introduced with the idea of "sessions", i.e. a
media change/attention within a session is arguably a reportable error,
while one that occured outside a session wouldn't be.  Even if this is
so, it is aguably better to just log a warning console and perform the
requested command than to abort.

Maybe it is something simpler like having to special case or more closely
examine the error reported by Exabytes subsequent to a media change...

						George