Subject: Re: console for headless ipc?
To: None <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/25/1997 08:58:11
On Wed, Jun 25, 1997 at 07:28:04AM +0200, Paul Boven wrote:

> Under NetBSD, this doesn't quite seem to work: On my IPC the ttya will
> function as a console up to (and including) the kernel's autodetecting
> and then, after two  garbage characters, output to the terminal stops.
> Input, however, still seems to work: During my first attempts at net-
> booting, it would get stuck on yp, a ^C would  make the machine go on
> into multi-user. Break on the ttya will still get you into debug.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is this a generic port-sparc problem, or only with the IPC?
> 2. IS it something that can/ought to be fixed?

I had a similar problem with my SS1+.  I don't know what the right
solution is, but I solved it by connecting a few pins of the serial
port so that the CTS input of the port is always active (this gives
the Sparc a permission to transmit data to the port).  Maybe the console
driver always uses RTS/CTS flow control (even if you have no RTSCTS flag
in /etc/ttys)?

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri