Subject: Please help with SparcStation 10
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Seidmann <seidmann@dcs.elf.stuba.sk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/26/1997 08:27:12
Hello,

we are using NetBSD/sparc for over a half year at our institiute in a,
one can say, productive environment, for instance for educational
purposes. The machinery is rather outdated consisting of a couple of
diskless SLCs, SparClassics and one SparcStation10. the only problem
child is the latter, refusing even to boot NetBSD. I've carefully
scanned the port-sparc mailing list archive to find a couple of people
complaining about the operation of SS10 under NetBSD. I have even tried
the patch to cache.c posted by Aaron Brown, which switches off the
cache. That brings me a lot further, but upon trying to execute
/sbin/init the machine still either crashes with a kernel fault or just
hangs. I've eliminated other sources of mistakes being abel to boot a
SparcClassic with the same kernel and in the same environment form the
network. The SS10 is equiped with a SuperSparc CPU TMS390Z50 (obviously
without SuperCache) and has 48MB of memory on board. If _anyone_
listening could eventually help me getting NetBSD to run on this
machine, I'd be very pleased.

Oh yes, all my attemtps were restricted to the source 1.2-RELEASE
version of the kernel. Perhaps someone knows of changes in -current
affecting the operation of machines like I have? The snapshot kernels
I've downloaded won't boot, though.

TIA

Regards,

Thomas