Subject: move boot disk SLC->ELC no go
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/23/1997 11:31:18
Hello,
I have installed NetBSD 1.2 on a sparc SLC here, it works great.
No I managed to get an unused ELC CPU , so I'd like to install the boot disk
on the ELC, and put the SLC back in the unused machines room.

But when I connect the disk to the ELC, it doesn't boot:
I get:
bad magic number in disklabel
can't read disk label package
can't open boot device

On the SLC I get the "bad magic number in disklabel" message, but the
NetBSD boot blocks and the NetBSD kernel are loaded without problems.
I have also these messages on my IPC at home, ant it boots fine too.

The ELC has a ROM program revision 2.9, and the SLC 1.4
I did all the specified commands on the ELC:
setenv sunmon-compat? false
setenv security-mode none
setenv boot-device /sbus/esp/sd@1,0
setenv boot-file netbsd

I also tried first with a Sun disklabel (I didn't relabel the disk under
NetBSD after installation) and a NetBSD disklabel (i.e done with:
disklabel sd1 >/tmp/toto
disklabel -r -R sd1 /tmp/toto).

Any idea of what's going wrong here ?

PS: before being in the unused machines room, the ELC was running Solaris 2.5.
Could have this messed something in the rom ?

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.                 bouyer@masi.ibp.fr