Subject: Re: Sun SBus/Ultra support (was: linux has pa risc support)
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/15/1997 16:26:33
Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl> writes:

> > So are there any plans to support either the HME or any of the 24-bit
> > graphics boards (TCX, SX) under NetBSD for the 4m?  I know the TCX is
> > supported in 8-bit mode now, but I'd really rather not have to run Solaris
> > to get 24-bit video.
>
> The kernel just provides the necessary access mechanisms for a program
> like the X Windows server to exploit the capabilities of a framebuffer.
>
> If someone has TCX-specific X11 framebuffer patches, I'll be happy to test
> whether the current kernel tcx driver is adequately supporting those.

The SX runs under 8-bit emulation mode too. I have a driver that does
a 24-bit unaccelerated CG8 emulation, but it is dog slow and you need
to hack the X server a bit to get it to work. Thus, I haven't
put it in the tree.

If there are patches to get X11 to use the SX (actually, just the
cg14 part of it), then it should be pretty easy to twist the driver
to provide the right ioctls.

--Aaron