Subject: Re: more zs stuff...
To: None <James.Graham@Schwab.COM>
From: Joachim Thiemann <joachim@colba.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/29/1997 18:41:23
> From: "Graham, James" <James.Graham@Schwab.COM>

> I was looking through /sys/arch/sparc/dev/zs.c and I discovered that
> there are quite a few hard-coded numbers there, i.e.
>
> 	ringsize=128;
> 	ringsize=4096;
>
> Shouldn't these be #defined in zs.h as
>
> #define ZSKBDRINGSIZE 128
> #define ZSTTYRINGSIZE 4096

Hear, hear!

> Secondly, does anyone know of any adverse effects of increasing the
> ringsize?

I am running -current on a SS1+, and have the same problem...
I increased my ringsize to 8192, and while I haven't seen any bad
effects, it hasn't helped much, either - I am connecting to my ISP
only at 9600 and I get fifo overruns if the machine load gets above
1. I'll try 16384 next...

Also, a question: is the sparc code using sys/dev/ic/zs8530* ? Or
isn't that the same chip? What is the difference?

Joe.