Subject: Re: Survey: What _does_ work?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Civati <paulc@DOMINO.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/17/1997 10:40:17
Kevin P. Neal writes:

> Ok, my SS10 is basically a wash. I can't get it to do networking, and I've

My 20 here doesn't work properly either, random core dump problem. :(

NetBSD 1.2 (GENERIC) #4: Fri Sep 27 22:03:25 MET
    pk@kwik:/usr/src1/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC
real mem = 66301952
avail mem = 60080128
using 809 buffers containing 3313664 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-20
cpu0 at mainbus0: TI,TMS390Z55 @ 60 MHz, on-chip
cpu0: physical 20K instruction (64 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l), 1024K
 external (32 b/l) cache enabled

> At this point I'm ready to give the 10 back and go with a different model.
> I mean, what's on your desk?
>
> The guy that I got the 10 from doesn't normally sell 5s, so if I got a 5
> and it didn't work w/ NetBSD then I'd be SOL. Who has a 5 on their desk,
> using it daily, and having no problems? Which is better: a 2 w/ powerup
> or a 5?

I have a headless 4 sitting just across the room on the network and it
works just fine, very stable.  I believe the 4 and 5 are near enough the
same.

Also, I think you'll get better peformance out of a 2 w/ PU than a plain
5.

-Paul-

--
Paul Civati                                mailto:paulc@domino.org