Subject: Post-1.2 on Sun4c?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/23/1996 23:06:47
I recently acquired an IPC (headless, 32M) for use as a porting
base for NetBSD, desiring to stretch my brain a little.

Installing 1.2 was quite painless, however anything later is
a total no-goer; we get to the point where init/whatever is
launched/about to be launched, and things appear to stop dead.

FWIW, when I was looking at OpenBSD (their 2.0 release), it
showed similar symptoms, but rather than stopping dead was
just running _very_slowly_.  It is possible that the post-1.2
snapshots I've tried are doing this too.

I'd like to move to something reasonably -current in order
to be able to build reasonably -current kernels for other
architectures.  (In particular the Mips and m68k trees have
improved considerably since 1.2, and these are the major
areas of interest.)

So:
 - is anyone running -current on an IPC?
 - has anyone seen these symptoms?
 - was there any change in the console after 1.2 (flow control,
   etc?  I'm using a full mini-8 <-> D25 cable and a full-flow
   gender-bender to a VT320 with hardware flow control disabled
   'RD-232, Data Leads Only' if that's at all relevant.  Again,
   1.2 works A-OK with this config.)

Thanks.
--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"