Subject: Bug in g++?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/15/1996 06:09:48
Hi everyone,

Yes, I am *still* trying to build octave for the Sparc-NetBSD.
It compiles with hardly a problem, but the linker doesn't like
things at all. This weekend I have access to an intel-machine running
NetBSD-1.2, just like I do. Although t doesn't have swapspace and diskspace
enough on it to finish things, I have been able to compare object-files.
I don't know alas if this NetBSD-version would yield better results because
of these differences.

On the intel, the c++-virtual-classes are defined as being in the text-
segnent, while on the sparc these same symbols (from the same sourcecode)
are defined as data-segment. I find this rather suspect, and I wonder if
I might have found a bug in the g++ shipped with NetBSD-1.2 and current,
with the sparc, that is.

I assume that being in the wrong segment would be a reason for the linker
to complain about these symbols, am I right? (undefined symbol __vt$t6SLList..
referenced from text segment)

If someone knows a bit about c++ and linkers, and thinks he/she might
be able to help me, *please* drop me a line.

Regards, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
  Nothing would get done in the world, if we didn't have insomniacs.
           Or at least, nothing would get done at night.