Subject: Re: new fsck-behaviour?
To: None <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/04/1996 16:59:56
> With the new binary snapshot, fsck seems to behave a bit different from
> what I am used to. It now refuses to fsck drives that have no entry in
> /etc/fstab. I have an extra scsi "brick" that I occasionally mount and
> therefore is not in my fstab, I could not check it untill I changed my
> fstab to include it.
>
> Bug, or feature?

Both.

Fsck(8) now understands that there are multiple file system types
which might need to be checked, and therefore now invokes an external
program based on the file system type.  It picks the file system type
by looking in the fstab, and by looking for a type to be explicitly
specified on the command line, e.g. via:

	fsck -t ffs /dev/sd1a

You could use that to check your disk.

The fact that it only checks the fstab and the command line, and
doesn't look in the disk's disklabel, is, in my opinion, a bug.
I filed it last Saturday with send-pr, and it's PR 2979.  8-)

chris