Subject: Re: Some Sparc problems
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/1996 11:09:23
>> 1. Solaris JDK doesn't work under NetBSD (panics the machine and reboots).
>>    (Actually, this happens to me due to libresolv not working right. Is this
>>     just me, or has anyone gotten >ANY< Solaris X programs to work? Anything
>>     linked with libresolv totally kills my machine.)
>
> I run Solaris Wabi very often, and I haven't had any trouble with it
> since I don't know when.

Speaking of which, I couldn't get WABI 2.2 Rev. B to come up at all.
(Under 1.2, not -current)

The message was something like "Unable to open X Display...Exiting", but this
is a misnomer, because ktrace(1) shows it never even really got to that point.

The problems I was having with WABI tended to all happen after it tried to
read "netconfig" and open "/dev/tcp", etc.

While investigating this just now, I stumbled across the /usr/src/etc/etc.svr4
directory, which contains "SVR4_MAKEDEV", "netconfig" and "nsswitch.conf".
(The stuff in here never seems to get installed anywhere by anything, and I
 don't recall seeing any documentation anywhere that mentions it.)

I then did a "mkdir /emul/svr4/dev", cd'd there, then tried to run
"sh /usr/src/etc/etc.svr4/SVR4_MAKEDEV all".  (It failed because "all" then
tries to do a "sh SVR4_MAKEDEV tcp udp rawip ticlts ticotsord ticots wabi",
and thus it assumes you're in the same directory as SVR4_MAKEDEV).  So I
did "ln -s /usr/src/etc/etc.svr4/SVR4_MAKEDEV . " in "/emul/svr4/dev", re-ran
"SVR4_MAKEDEV all", and now WABI comes up like a champ!  Shit howdy!

Now if MAE 3.0 could run, I'd be really chuffed  :-)

(We *really* *really* *REALLY* need a compat_svr4(8) man page ... hint hint)

	- Greg