Subject: Re: X window system
To: None <jfacree@eos.ncsu.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/30/1996 01:11:11
At 07:32 PM 10/29/96 -0500, jfacree@eos.ncsu.edu wrote:
>I've just installed NetBSD-1.2 on my sparc IPX, what do I ned to do to
>get the X windows working, and PPP, or do I need to find PPP elsewhere?

PPP comes by default.

Use Kermit to dial up and start PPP on the NCSU end, escape back out and
start PPP on your end.

PPP needs a config file in /etc/ppp if I'm not mistaken. It's a set once
and never touch again file (which explains why I don't remember anything
at all about it.)

After that works, look into "chat". It uses send/expect pairs to dial the
modem, talk to the NCSU end, and start PPP over there. It's very general,
and works well. It will be run by pppd, and mentioned in the pppd.conf
in /etc/ppp if I remember correctly (it's been a *long* time since my
machine ran).

You get to get X elsewhere ;).
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com