Subject: Re: Performance NetBSD vs. SunOS
To: None <mke@timebox.turbolift.com, ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Chris Torek <torek@BSDI.COM>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/1996 08:51:03
>>> ... gain of double speed
>It was measured under the same conditions. ...

This is something of a guess (that I have offered before,
for that matter), but I suspect most of the speed advantage
for `user CPU burner' applications that NetBSD shows over
Solaris is due to Solaris's ensuring that each `fresh'
register window is `clean' (that is, the %l and %o registers
that you get on every `save' start out all zero, except of
course for %o6).

This is supposedly a security feature -- perhaps the NSA
required it, to shut down potential covert channels. :-)

Chris