Subject: Re: HyperSPARC woes...
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/20/1996 15:06:02

>     Jon> That sounds real slow, does EVERY SPARC kernel do that on ALL
>     Jon> traps?  It sounds like a config option that would inline the
>     Jon> code for MY machine and eliminate the code for all others
>     Jon> would be significantly faster.  (All this from someone who
>     Jon> has not looked at the code, but did get an ELC a few months
>     Jon> ago and is currently running said code.)
>
>   Since these traps are pointed to by a trap table, wouldn't it make
> the most sense to just point at different trap handlers at run-time?

That's exactly what happens right now. The reason that the hypersparc
complicates issues is that you would then need a separate trap table
for each supersparc and hypersparc rev. that handled the AFSR differently.
Also, I think the microsparc handles it differently as well...

It just seems gross to build a second trap table for each CPU rev, for
the sake of a single trap. But we certainly use different tables for
Sun4/4c/4m.

--Aaron