Subject: Re: Bootable CD?
To: Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/13/1996 21:44:56
> 2. When booting the OBP loads /boot, using the list of blocks set
> up by installboot.

The OBP doesn't actually do this; it loads a first-stage boot program that's
located right after the label. This program loads the second-stage boot
program using built-in (by installboot(8)) disk block numbers. Maybe
the arrangement on a bootable CD should be different, like directly
dd'ing a filesystem image into memory.

> 4. Has anyone got any hints as to what should be in the MFS kernel?
> Is there already a RAMROOT kernel out there I should use? Would it be

The machinery to do this is present in post-1.2. One possible scheme
goes like this:

	first-stage boot program loads a ramdisk based kernel/filesystem
	into memory (let's call this `microroot'). It just needs
	disklabel(8) or equivalent to polish up your prospected boot disk.

	After it's done disk labeling, it transfers the miniroot from a
	partition on the CD onto a disks's swap partition, and reboots
	the machine.

This microroot thing could be crammed in less than 2MB. The question is
what would make a sensible layout for the CD and how to make it acceptable
as a boot device for the PROM.