Subject: reboot problem on SS1+
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/1996 01:39:48
Hello,

I have a problem with a SS1+ that doesn't like to reboot properly.
Doing "shutdown -r now" causes the following error, while coldbooting,
or issuing the 'reset' command, works:

syncing disks... done
rebooting

Boot from: sd(0,0,0)netbsd
Level 3 InterruptType help for more information
ok boot
Booting from: sd(0,0,0)netbsd
Level 3 Interrupt
ok

This machine is locked away in a room, so it is a bit of a pain when
I can't reboot it remotely.  I don't have the PROM rev, but can get it
if that might matter.  I have done "setenv sunmon-compat? false" already,
and am not aware of any other changes needed.  The esp0 and sd0 look
like this:

esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 pri 3: ESP100 25Mhz, target 7
scsibus0 at esp0
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <MICROP, 1588-15MBSUN0669, SN0B> SCSI1 0/direct fi
xed
sd0: 639MB, 1632 cyl, 15 head, 53 sec, 512 bytes/sec

Anyone have any ideas?  Otherwise I'll anxiously await the updated esp
driver, just in case.  It almost seems like the esp is being left in a
strange state that the OBP driver and/or boot can't handle. (which is
why 'reset' fixes it)

-Andrew