Subject: Re: Progress on the SS2, questions about probe-scsi
To: None <david@mono.org>
From: Gregory S. Burd <kiva@pecos.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/11/1996 09:58:06
David,

	Well the whole story is something like this.  The SS2 has an
internal drive that I suppose is at SCSI ID 3.  It used to boot from that
drive until someone wanted it to have X11 and other things on a local disk
to improve the speed.  Well that disk was too small (only 100meg).  So I
hooked up another drive at SCSI ID 2 and changed the boot command to look
to that ID after I built the drive SUNOS 4.1.3.  Then I used the internal
drive as a raw disk for a Sybase database.

	Now the only drive that is on the bus is the internal 100meg drive
and I never changed the hardware settings on that drive.  Nothing is
attached externally.  When I do the probe-scsi, nothing.  Does this point
to a blown fuse?  Or an unrecognizable drive thanks to Sybase?  Or a blown
bus?  Or a blown drive?  How should I diagnose this?  I do have another
drive or two to hook up and run tests.

-greg

Gregory Burd
http://www.pecos.com/~greg                    greg@pecos.com