Subject: Re: "swap generic"
To: None <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/28/1996 23:39:10
>> [trouble with -4/110 and a disk]
>> On a unrelated topic, it appears that the 'swap generic' kernel
>> config option is not all that generic when booted from the ether.
>> Any attempt to add swap space on a disk results in 'device not
>> configured' errors.
>
>You'll also find, I feel sure, similar problems if you boot from disk
>and try to swap on the network.  The code contains comments indicating
>that whoever wrote it wanted it working soon and therefore cheated,
>overloading mounting root and mounting swap, so that you have to swap
>to at least the same _type_ of device that you have root on.

Well, at least with the ether one could use a vnd device.

I understood the bit about the swap and root having to be on the same
device.  [Don't exactly like it, but I understand it].

>Or do you mean when using swapon after boot?  If so, "swap generic"
>will never work; "swap generic" allows you to swap to anywhere, but to
>only one anywhere - you can never add more swap after boot.  This is
>the basic problem that prompted the recent small discussion about
>dynamic (or semi-dynamic - hot-add but reboot-to-remove) swap.

Yup, this was it.

I find this all a bit odd.... With the i386 port, one can swap to
multiple items by listing them on the config line.

I would have thought that 'config .... swap on nfs and sd0b' would
have gotten it right, also....  Except that in this case I don't
believe it ever makes it to 'init'.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org