Subject: Problems with new boot disk on 4/110
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/26/1996 16:27:16
Hello...

Given a 4/110 which has been content booting via ether for a number of
months.

I went and added an external disk, put a SunOS label on it, newfs'ed
the root filesystem as a 4.3BSD filesystem, and copied the network
copy of the root filesystem over to the new disk and finally installed
NetBSD boot blocks with /usr/mdec/binstall.

When trying to boot from the disk, the kernel hangs shortly after
identifing all the devices and declaring the root is on 'sd0a'.  I put
some debugging in the kernel and it appears that it gets past the exec
of init and the pager daemon [I didn't follow it though scheduler].

All of /dev is correct [triple checked], and the root filesystem is
mountable when the system is booted via the network.

For what it is worth, a SunOS kernel boots, but of course, can't find
a proper SunOS init and dies [It appears that the NetBSD boot blocks
can boot a SunOS kernel].  When a current OpenBSD kernel is booted
single user from the disk it gets to the single user 'What shell do
you want' prompt, so I assume that something is not quite right with
NetBSD, yet.

Has anyone booted a 4/110 from a disk???

On a unrelated topic, it appears that the 'swap generic' kernel config
option is not all that generic when booted from the ether.  Any
attempt to add swap space on a disk results in 'device not configured'
errors.

Anyway, thanks...

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org