Subject: Re: NetBSD stable on sun4m SS4?
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Sean Doran <smd@icp.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/09/1996 02:47:31
| (3)	When your system decides to page for whatever reason, it seems to
| 	want to page out Lots O' Pages at once; i.e. suddenly a heap of
| 	pages expire.  The system grinds to a halt while the paging code
| 	takes over all available cycles.

I haven't seen this, and I do some interesting data reduction
ugliness that eats acres of memory for breakfast, lunch and dinner,
cranking out network statistics.

| (4)	If you do massive accesses over NFS to a fellow NetBSD machine,
| 	the nfsiods will hang.  Peculiarly, if you kill and restart the
| 	nfsds on the server, all will right itself in about a minute --
| 	provided you have killed the nfs-intensive process, which, if
| 	you have the X stuff nfs-mounted (I do, from necessity), could
| 	be just about anything.  Netscrape does this to my box.

I haven't seen this either, and I do pretty much the same things
via (NQ)NFS, and some even uglier things to boot.

Have you done a packet trace to see what's happening during all of this?

I have found a couple bugs with NQNFS, admittedly, and I have just
gotten a new panic lately that I'm scratching my head over.

WRT running NetBSD in a "real environment", there are some deficiencies,
but my opinion is that these seem to be less of a problem than the
idiosyncracies of the OSes shipped by SUN.  If anyone has NetBSD
running on SS4s, SS5s and SS10s, I'd really love to know, as some
colleagues of mine would love to be running NetBSD on their at-work boxes too.

Finally, all the fixes I've seen put together have been pretty solid,
which is a pleasant change compared to what I remember from commercial
vendors...

	Sean.