Subject: Re: restore dumps core on different filesystems
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/08/1996 16:33:31
On Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
 James Graham - Systems Anarchist <greywolf@starwolf.com> wrote:

 > I was attempting a "restore ivfb /dev/nrst1 112".  The dump was done
 > under StunOS.  As long as I invoked the restore while my cwd was on a
 > native filesystem, everything was fine.  When I cd'd to a non-native
 > filesystem, restore SEGV'd.  I'm not sure if this is a bin or a kernel
 > problem; it might be both.  Once restore caused my system to panic due
 > to a memory alignment error somewhere (but dumps don't happen on my
 > IPX )-: )

Define "non-native".  Do you mean "A UFS filesystem not created with
NetBSD" or "A non-FFS filesystem, such as NFS".  From your previous, it
seemed to me like you were saying:

	cd /some/nfs/filesystem
	restore ivfb /dev/nrst1 112

...and I was saying "I don't think that was ever intended to work."

Now, it's possible that that's not at all what you were describing :-)

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --