Subject: Re: restore dumps core on different filesystems
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: James Graham - Systems Anarchist <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/08/1996 15:35:58
No, no NO no!  You misunderstood!  ("Just _what kind_ of fool do you take
me for, anyway?")

I was attempting a "restore ivfb /dev/nrst1 112".  The dump was done
under StunOS.  As long as I invoked the restore while my cwd was on a
native filesystem, everything was fine.  When I cd'd to a non-native
filesystem, restore SEGV'd.  I'm not sure if this is a bin or a kernel
problem; it might be both.  Once restore caused my system to panic due
to a memory alignment error somewhere (but dumps don't happen on my
IPX )-: )

Also, every now and then, I have this horrible problem of NFS locking
up solid, which means that I can't do Netscrape at all because it will
lock up my IPX.  It's a long story, but I remember seeing this as a common
problem.  Just to alert the rest of the gang:  the NFS hang problem has
not gone away, and I'm not entirely sure where it's hanging.

				--*greywolf;
--
If anyone requests a reason as to why Windows NT is inferior to UNIX,
refer them to the process scheduler, for starters.  Of course, users