Subject: Re: swap_pager_clean: clean of page %x failed
To: None <mcr@milkyway.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/03/1996 13:37:04
>> Then I did "dd if=/dev/rsd0a bs=433152 of=/dev/rsd0d"
> On the i386 port, the d slice is the entire *disk*.  I do not know if
> this has propagated to the other ports.  C is the entire NetBSD
> "partition"...

Mercifully, the SPARC port does not suffer from this disease.  (Heh.
My bias is showing.  Yeah, I think this is an ugly kludge...perhaps if
I circulated more in the Intel-hardware world I'd come closer to
understanding why the i386 port bothers with it.  Fortunately it
doesn't affect the rest of the NetBSD world much. :-)

Only the c partition is special on the Sun ports (/sparc and /sun3),
just like traditional BSD.  AFAIK, only ports that have to coexist
on-disk with utterly alien "other" OSes like MicroSlot^H^H^Hoft Windows
or Amoeb^H^H^HigaDOS have to resort to stealing yet another partition
letter for special purposes.  (It's bad enough to lose one partition
letter; losing another would be quite a pain.  Someday I may try to
figure some way to have more than 8 partitions on a boot disk, which
perforce must have a SunOS-compatible label.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D