Subject: Re: General query about NetBSD/sparc
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/28/1996 10:20:20
On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Mike Frisch wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> 	I have been subscribed to this list for a while now, but haven't
> really been paying attention as of late.  I am currently running SunOS
> 4.1.3_U1 on my SPARCstation IPC and would like to upgrade to NetBSD/sparc
> sometime in the future.
>
> 	I am curious to know where NetBSD/sparc stands in comparison to
> stability and performance of SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  I am running a small UUCP
> news/email feed, INN serving news on my local LAN, X, and some other
> fairly large apps (ie. emacs) right now.  Could I install NetBSD/sparc and
> expect performance similar (or better) to that of SunOS with about the
> same reliability?

	I'm running 1.1B on 16Mb IPX on my desk right now, and my gut
	feeling is its a little down on SunOS in terms of performance,
	and a little less reliable (YMMV).

> 	On another note, does NetBSD/sparc support virtual interfaces?
> This would definitely influence my decision to run NetBSD on my Sun.

	On the plus side I can run SunOS & Solaris binaries, as well as
	native NetBSD, plus full source and many damn useful options
	all built in (union file systems, virtual interfaces, ppp etc).

	NetBSD is going somewhere - its just had support for sbus & pci
	ATM cards added (by Chuck Craynor) - while SunOS is an end of life
	product, and Solaris is... well Solaris :)

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.--- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          Too drunk to care          |     The hell of the night before    |
|  Looked like death, felt like Hell  |    I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ Been the worse for wear ------'--- And still I'll drink some more --'